Recreation and Special Events
The following changes to our recreation programming are in effect to to the ongoing COVID-19 situation.
- All town building facilities are closed to the public until further notice. This closure includes the Town Office, Recreation Centre, Library and Park Huts.
- The following park facilities are now open:
- Facilities to remain closed until further notice:
- Summerwood Playground
- Recreation Centre
- Park hut buildings and canteens (except washrooms)
- Canada Day celebrations will be taking place online as a virtual celebration this year.
- This year’s summer camps and regatta festival have been cancelled.
- The 2020 Killick Coast Games have been cancelled.
Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s has much to offer its residents and visitors. With annual festivals such as our Winter Carnival and Regatta Festival, there is also have a variety of events every month, including an Environment Fair, Community Awards, and celebrations of the holidays. Please check back as we are always coming up with new ways to celebrate living in this great town in this fantastic province!
Many of our programs require online registration and payment through eServices. If you are a resident and you have not yet used eServices to pay for a program in PCSP, you will be prompted to enter a “sign up key” the first time you use eServices. Please contact Joe Donkers, Accounting Technician, at 895-5666 or [email protected] to receive your sign up key. If you are living in a rental property in PCSP and you are not the registered owner of the home, you will need to sign up as a guest account and you will not require a sign up key.
Upcoming This Season
Take time to celebrate June for Recreation month by trying something new! Whether it be an outdoor hike, walking, learning a new skill at home, bike rides, camping in your back yard, building a bird house, gardening – Anything that you can think of that gets you active in your own way. Please share photos of all your activities with us throughout the month of June and we’ll be sharing them out! Email your photos to [email protected] – Every “New & You” picture sent in gets your name entered into a draw for a prize valued at $200.
A full schedule of Canada Day activities will be released soon! Some of the exciting virtual events to look forward to are a Q&A with the Ice Queen and Supergirl, and DIY crafting workshops you can do at home!
We are excited to announce an upcoming Drive-In Movie event at Voisey’s Brook Park on Thursday, July 2nd (rain date of Friday, July 3rd, 2020)! Full details can be found on the poster. Registration for this event opens on Thursday, June 25th, 2020 via eServices.
This year, our Annual Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s (PCSP) Dory Dash Fun Run will be offered as a new virtual event! Due to the physical distancing circumstances of COVID-19, instead of the typical 5km one day set race route in the community, runners will now have 10 days (July 1st to 10th, 2020) to complete 50kms in the location of their choice. The Dory Dash 50km challenge can be completed by an individual runner, or between a team of three participants. The cost is $10 per person and all funds will be donated to local food banks.
In response to the uncertainties surrounding the current COVID-19 pandemic, the Town of Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s has made the difficult decision to cancel this year’s Summer Camps and Regatta Festival. The Town’s annual Canada Day celebrations will be modified to take place virtually. For full details, please visit the page below:
Events Throughout the Year
- Best of PCSP Community Awards (April)
- Canada Day (July)
- Community Breakfast with Santa (December)
- Community Clean Up (Year Round)
- Christmas Parade (December)
- Community Tree Lighting (December)
- Easter Party (Spring)
- Fall Family Festival (October)
- Guy Fawkes Night (November)
- Light It Up Green: Mental Health Week (May)
- Regatta Festival (July)
- Winter Carnival (February)
Expos and Fairs
- Bill Churchill Memorial Softball Tournament (September)
- Dory Dash 5km Road Race (July)
- Jersey Day in Canada (November)
- Killick Coast Games (July)
- Gingerbread Contest (December)
- Merry and Bright Contest (December)
- Property Beautification Awards (Summer)
- National Seniors Day (October)
- Regatta (Summer)
- St. Patrick’s Day Senior’s Social (Spring)
- Winter Carnival (Winter)
- Easter Camp (Spring)
- Camp Little Gaffers (Summer)
- Camp Whaddya’ At! (Summer)
- Youth Adventure Camp (Summer)
- Classes and Courses this Season
- Classes and Courses this Season
Check out our school newsletters for all the latest updates on town events and programs for our local students!