Building & Development Services
Important Note: The Town is committed to the health and safety of our employees while ensuring we continue to provide core services to our residents. As such, we will temporarily not be accepting any written planning and development submissions or applications in person at this time. The Planning & Development Department will continue accepting and processing applications, compliance letter requests and all other submissions by email. Applications and related forms are available on this page.
Building and Development services fall under Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s Planning and Development department. This department facilitates the following:
- The administration of the Town’s Municipal Plan and Development Regulations
- Zoning and public regulations
- Building permits
- Occupancy permits
- Development control
- Town plan review and updating of the plan
- GIS and mapping
- Environmental monitoring
To speak with someone in the Planning & Development Department, call 895-8000
All Notices will be listed here as they become available.
- Notice of Registration for St. John’s Urban Region Regional Plan Amendment No. 4, 2019, Municipal Plan Amendment No. 7, 2018, and Development Regulations Amendment No. 8, 2018
Applications and Submissions
Due to the current circumstances surrounding COVID-19, the Town Hall and all Town Facilities are closed to the public until further notice and staff are working remotely to provide business continuity and maintain core services.
Effective immediately, all applications and submissions are to be submitted by email to [email protected].
As operations are transitioning to social distancing, processing times may be affected. Please ensure that you allow sufficient time for processing. We appreciate your understanding and would like to thank all residents for their cooperation during this challenging time.
Processing of Fees
Credit Card through eServices: Payments can be made using your credit card on the Town’s eServices website https://pcsp.ws.townsuite.com/login. For assistance with eServices, please call Accounting Technician Joe Donkers at 709-727-5203.
Other methods of payment include credit card by phone, bill payments through your online banking, or by cheque.
For any assistance regarding payments, please call the Planning & Development Department at 709-895-8000.
Planning & Development Department Contacts
If you have been working with a staff person regarding your application or submission, please continue to contact them directly. For general inquiries or submissions, please email [email protected].
Les Spurrell, Planning & Development Coordinator, [email protected] (709) 895-5669
Ashley Linehan, Planning Technician, [email protected] (709) 895-5653
Holly Duffett, Planning Technologist, [email protected] (709) 895-5667
David Beckett, Development Control Officer, [email protected] (709) 895-5658
Jenine Purchase, Planning Clerk, [email protected] (709) 895-5654
Forms & Applications
- Building and Development Application Form
- Business Development Application Form
- Accessory Building Development Form
- Civic Address Installation
- Compliance Letter Request Form
- General Residential Agreement
Municipal Plan and Regulations
Please be advised that periodically Council may make amendments to the Town’s Municipal Plan and Development Regulations 2014-2024. Below, for your convenience, are working copies of the planning documents with amendments which have been registered and published in the Newfoundland and Labrador Gazette. The original amendment documents can be found at the Town Office.
- Schedule A Definitions
- Schedule B Classifications
- Schedule C – Use Zones
- Schedule D – Off-street Parking Requirements
- Schedule E- Environment Protection Overlay
Subdivision Design and Construction Standards
Please click on the appropriate section to view and download the Town’s Land Use Zoning, Future Land Use and Environmental Protection maps:
Flood Zone Information and Maps
- Town of Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s Flood Risk Mapping Study
- Technical Appendices – Volume 1
- Technical Appendices – Volume 2
- 1:20 and 1:100 AEP Floodlines
- 1:20 and 1:100 AEP Climate Change Floodlines
- 1:20 and 1:100 AEP Inundation Floodlines
- 1:20 and 1:100 AEP Velocity Distribution Floodlines
- 1:20 and 1:100 AEP Flood Hazard Floodlines
In accordance with Part VI (APPEALS) of the Urban and Rural Planning Act, 2000, a person(s) aggrieved of certain decisions of Council may appeal that decision to the Eastern Newfoundland Regional Appeal Board. Information regarding appeals (i.e. what can be appealed, filing and appeal, and results of appeal hearings) can be found here.
- Permits Issued – June 2020
- Permits Issued – May 2020
- Permits Issued – April 2020
- Permits Issued – March 2020
- Permits Issued – February 2020
- Permits Issued – January 2020
- Permits Issued – 2019
- Permits Issued – 2018
- Permits Issued – 2017
- Permits Issued – 2016
For additional yearly permit collections, please contact the Planning and Development Department.
For the Planning and Development overview page, please click here.