New: Summer Pop Up Play Days
The Town of Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s is proud to announce a new summer 2020 program: Pop-Up Play Days!
During this time, there is much uncertainty regarding regular programming, given the situation is ever-changing, we have to be flexible. There are many restrictions in place for the alert levels that we must adhere to in order to offer a program.
The goal of this program is offer participants socialization while having active, fun, and safe days with their peers. We ask for everyone’s co-operation in following the procedures in place for these days to run successfully and within a safe manner.
Registration will take place on Friday July 17th, 2020 beginning at 9:00am.
Registration will be completed via eServices, and open to Portugal Cove – St. Philip’s Residents only. Please make sure your eServices account is up to date, sub-accounts created for participants prior to July 17th.
- Thursday, July 23rd: Art Extraordinaire
- Thursday, July 30th: Game Day** (Basketball and Ball Hockey)
- Thursday, August 6th: Spectacular Science
- Thursday, August 13th: Game Day ** (Soccer and Softball)
- Thursday, August 20th: Art Extraordinaire
** if weather does not permit outside use of sites, inside programming will be planned.
**Additional equipment may be required by the participant.
Hours: 8:30am – 4:30pm
Drop off will run from 8:30am to 9:00am, and pick up from 4:00pm – 4:30pm. Participants will not be permitted to be signed in or out outside of these times.
Participants have completed Kindergarten and are no older than 10 years of age. All participants must be residents of Portugal Cove – St. Philip’s.
The cost per day, per participant is $30.
Program will run from the Portugal Cove – St. Philip’s Recreation Centre, as well as Rainbow Gully Park.
There will be no refunds unless a medical note is provided (no later than one week following the program date registered), or in the event that the Town of Portugal Cove – St. Philip’s has had to change plans. A minimum number of participants are required to run the program.
Pick Up and Drop Off:
- Pick up and drop off will follow social distancing measures, signage will be posted for entrance and exit locations.
- It is requested that one parent/guardian does both pick up and drop off.
- Parents/guardians are not to enter the building at any time.
- All participants, staff, and maintenance staff in the building will be recorded as per the guidelines.
- Participants are to be dropped off between 8:30am and 9:00am, there will be no early drop off available.
- Parents/guardians are not permitted to enter the building. A staff will be stationed in the parking lot for a kiss and ride drop off.
- Prior to participants entering the program, the following “Fit for Play” pre-screening questions must be answered upon arrival each morning. Following a successfully completion, staff will sign participant into program for the day.
- Click Here to View the “Fit for Play” Pre-Screening Form
- If you have answered “yes” to any screening questions, participants must not enter program premises.
- Alcohol based sanitizer will be placed at the entrance of the program.
- Participants are to be picked up between 4:00pm and 4:30pm, there is no late pick up available.
- Parents/guardians will call a number upon arrival and staff will bring participant out to vehicle and sign out.
What to Bring:
- Bottle of hand sanitizer, labeled with child’s name (at least 60% alcohol content) for use by your child only.
- Sunscreen (at least 30 SPF).
- Suitable clothing for weather: rain gear, hats, and additional change of clothes (outdoor play will be promoted in all weather, as long as conditions are safe).
- Sneakers/closed toe sandals (flip flops will not be permitted).
- Healthy snacks and lunch (NO microwave or refrigerator use), participants must bring own utensils.
- A backpack and lunch bag labeled with participants name are requested.
- Toys or electronics from home are not permitted.
- Game Days will require additional items to be identified.
If there are any medical concerns or allergies, staff need to be made aware one week prior to attending the program, or immediately following registration. Anything containing any type of nut or fish product is not permitted at camp. An updated allergy list regarding any additional foods not permitted will be sent to parents/guardians following registration. Please pay close attention to the ingredients in each item packed for participants. Over the counter medication will not be administered during the program.
The Town of Portugal Cove – St. Philip’s is committed to providing a safe and inclusive environment for programming. Support may be available for those who require assistance to participate. For more information on inclusive services please contact [email protected].
Participants requesting inclusive support will follow the regular registration process on eServices.
- Staff will not be permitted to physically assist participants with sunscreen application. Children will be expected to know how to properly apply sunscreen with some verbal cues.
- Staff will monitor participants when applying sunscreen, and provide verbal instruction and physical demonstration to ensure coverage.
- All participants will need their own sunscreen. Spray sunscreen is not recommended for use, if participants are using spray they must bring along additional non-spray for their face.
- Hats are mandatory and participants are encouraged to wear shirts that cover shoulders.
- Staff have been trained in policy and procedure of camp setting, supervision, safety and cleaning procedures.
- Staff have completed first aid training.
- Parents/guardians are encouraged to read the Provincial Public Health Guidelines for Summer Camps
- Children should be fully toilet trained; parents/guardians will not be permitted to enter and leave the program for personal care needs. Staff can prompt children for personal care procedures but cannot physically assist. Children who require assistance with toileting may be accompanied to the program by an independently hired respite worker.
- Able to feed themselves independently. Children who require assistance with eating may be accompanied to the program by an independently hired respite worker.
- It is recommended that those considered vulnerable to the effects of COVID-19 or who have family members considered vulnerable, use discretion in availing of the program.
- The leader to child ratio, and space restrictions will see the program as 1:5.
- Children in the program (15) will be allowed to eat together, play, and use materials/tools (scissors, glue sticks). Where possible children will be given their own kit of supplies.
- Staff and children are not required to wear a mask and gloves in the program, but will practice and model good hygiene (hand washing, covering a cough or sneeze, etc.)
- Program will be adapted to adhere to public health measures, there are some typical summer toys and games that will not be available due to these guidelines.
- Programming at the Recreation Centre is strictly for program participants, as is court and field use at Rainbow Gully Park on program days.
- The playground and washroom use at Rainbow Gully Park is available for public use, program participants will avail of these facilities as needed when in the park.
- Facilities and equipment will be cleaned daily in accordance with the public health guidelines. Additional cleaning will be provided to high touch areas.
- The program will cease or be cancelled if there is a confirmed case of COVID – 19 within the registered participants and or staff, or contact of the participants and staff, or under direction of public health.
If for any reason your child will not be in attendance, please contact staff or leave a voicemail with the Town Office at 895-8000. Children must stay home if they present any signs of fever, sore throat, cold symptoms, headache, diarrhea and/or vomiting.
- Parents/guardians must ensure that you list your child’s underlying health conditions and/or present symptomatic seasonal allergies.
If a child displays symptoms of concern during the program, the following measures will be adhered to:
- Contact guardian immediately
- Seek support from a second staff
- Child will be isolated
- Good handwashing for child and staff, as well as program participants
- Both staff and child will mask and glove, guardian will immediately come to site to pick up child
- Materials used by child will be removed and sanitized
- Staff who present with symptoms will be removed and self-isolate as per the health guidelines based on the current alert
In the event of an unexpected closure due to poor weather, power outage, etc. the program will be cancelled. Refunds will be given for a situation deemed of this nature.
- No bullying
- No hitting
- No taunting
- No physical or emotion abuse of any kind
- Other incidents deemed inappropriate
All parents/guardians are advised that any participant unwilling to follow the rules of the program will have privileges revoked and a suspension or full dismissal for the 2020 year. Rules include respecting fellow participants, staff/leaders, and following the participant pledge. This pledge has been developed to create a safe and enjoyable environment for all involved. If rules are not followed, it can lead to expulsion from current and future programming.