Fire Protection Week: October 9th to 15th, 2022
The Town of Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s and the Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s Volunteer Fire Department are pleased to acknowledge October 9 to 15, 2022 as Fire Prevention Week. This year is the 100th anniversary of Fire Prevention Week and the theme this year is “Fire won’t wait. Plan your escape.” During this week, residents are encouraged to learn more about the simple but important actions they can take to keep themselves, and those around them, safe.
It is important for everyone to plan and practice a home fire escape. Everyone needs to be prepared in advance so that they know what to do if the smoke alarm sounds. Given that every home is different, it is important to know the fire escape plan for any home in which you are staying. Have a plan for everyone in the home as children, older adults, and people with disabilities may need assistance to wake up and get out.
Here are some safety tips to help you make a home fire escape plan:
- Make sure your plan meets the needs of all your family members, including those with sensory or physical disabilities.
- Smoke alarms should be installed inside every sleeping room, outside each separate sleeping area, and on every level of your home. Smoke alarms should be interconnected so when one sounds, they all sound.
- Know at least two ways out of every room, if possible. Make sure all doors and windows open easily.
- Have an outside meeting place a safe distance from your home where everyone should meet.
- Practice your home fire drill at least twice a year with everyone in the household, including guests. Practice at least once during the day and once at night.