Back to School Road Safety Reminders
We are excited to see students return to their classrooms on Wednesday, September 7th, which means increased traffic on our roadways. Motorists are reminded to drive with extra caution, especially in school zones. In Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s, there are two schools: Beachy Cove Elementary (located at 412 Beachy Cove Road) and Brookside Intermediate (located at 1165 Thorburn Road). Motorists are asked to be extra careful in these areas.
The following rules are outlined in the Highway Traffic Act, with which motorists must comply at all times:
- Obey the posted speed limit in school zones and yield to pedestrians at a crosswalk.
- Never pass a school bus while stopped.
- Obey the visual signals of the bus driver or the bus, such as the activated stop arm and flashing red or amber lights.
- One metre of open space between your vehicle, and a bicycle or pedestrian, and one-and-a-half metres if the speed limit is more than 60 kilometers per hour.
- Motorists are reminded that distracted driving is illegal and poses a serious safety risk.
Thank you for your cooperation. We hope to see all students in Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s enjoy a safe and happy school year!