Recreation and Community Services
For our Recreation Programs, please click here.
The Recreation and Community Services Department operates under the direction of one full-time Recreation Director, one full time Recreation Programs & Special Events Coordinator and a Seasonal Maintenance Employee. There are summer students hired for eight weeks of the summer to implement the Sports/Activities Camp and Soccer Program.
The Recreation Department’s major responsibilities include:
- Providing recreational programming and leisure services
- Planning & Implementing the Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s Festival & Regatta
- Planning, organizing and implementing community events
- Parks and playgrounds rental, development and maintenance
- Rainbow Gully is a family-oriented recreational park located on Rainbow Gully Road behind the community center. This area contains a softball field, children’s playground, a newly constructed Skateboard Park, and a canteen.
- Voisey’s Brook Recreational Park is located on Indian Meal Line, and celebrated its grand opening in October 2001. The park houses a softball field, a playground, 3-on-3 basketball court, and a canteen.
- Tot lot playground in the Dogberry Hill subdivision.
The Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s Community Center, located behind the Town Hall, is a multipurpose building consisting of a large open room and a licensed canteen. The center can accommodate 130 people (fixed table and chairs seating) to 200 people (fixed chairs only). A variety of different functions are hosted at the center, including bingo, darts, and summer programs, and is also available for rental for weddings, showers, parties, etc.
Please note that the library is currently closed for renovations.
The library is located on Thorburn Road beneath the Town office.
Tuesday 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Wednesday 2 p.m. – 8 p.m.
Thursday 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
Friday 10 a.m. – 1 p.m.