Safety Tips for Drivers Near School Zones and Busses
As winter weather conditions are upon us once again, all drivers are reminded to use extra caution when behind the wheel. Motorists are reminded to drive with extra care, especially in school zones.
In Portugal Cove-St. Philip’s, there are two schools: Beachy Cove Elementary (located at 412 Beachy Cove Road) and Brookside Intermediate (located at 1165 Thorburn Road).
The following rules are outlined in the Highway Traffic Act, with which motorists must comply at all times:
- Obey the posted speed limit in school zones and yield to pedestrians at a crosswalk.
- Never pass a school bus while stopped.
- Obey the visual signals of the bus driver or the bus, such as the activated stop arm and flashing red or amber lights.
- One metre of open space between your vehicle, and a bicycle or pedestrian, and one-and-a-half metres if the speed limit is more than 60 kilometers per hour.
- Motorists are reminded that distracted driving is illegal and poses a serious safety risk.
Thank you for your cooperation.